How hypnobirthing can offer you a calm and confident birth experience
Hypnobirthing is a tried and proven natural birth technique that guides and prepares a woman to experience labour and give birth in a peaceful and extraordinarily beautiful manner. It is a holistic birthing practice that considers the psychological, as well as the physical, well-being?of the mother, her birth partner, and the baby.
For most of their lives, women have been conditioned to believe that pain is associated with labour; and because of this, many women fear giving birth. When a woman is scared during labour, the fear and tension cause pain because blood and oxygen are diverted away from the uterus. In comparison, when a woman remains calm, the body produces oxytocin and endorphins (nature?s pain relief) and the uterine muscles relax.
For women who have already experienced a traumatic birth, they often feel apprehensive about their next birth.
Hypnobirthing enables the mother to take control of her birthing experience in the way that she wants it to be. The best way to get the most out of hypnobirthing is to invest in a course for you and your birth partners. It is a full antenatal class that teaches you all the available choices and common scenarios that may play out during labour. Knowing these options and understanding which ones feel right for you before labour will help shape your birth preferences. Having this road map, gives you and your caregivers a route to follow. It also explains to them what elements you would prefer to avoid.
The hypnosis part of the course can help re-programme the attitudes and preconceptions to what labour is and isn?t. Hypnobirthing teachers will feed your soul with examples of positive birth experiences, they will teach you how to look at birth in the beautiful and natural way that it was intended to be. Your body has taken you this far in pregnancy, there is often no reason why it needs help in the birthing process. (Though having a medical team on standby, just in case, is phenomenally reassuring too!)
Hypnobirting can prepare women for a positive birth experience, free of fear and tension, enabling their bodies to function as they were designed to. During the course, women are taught to use hypnosis, to facilitate a pain-free birth. They will learn to release their bodies? most powerful hormones, the endorphins, which are said to be many times more powerful than morphine.
Partners also play an integral role in helping the mum to relax, offering support and positive reinforcement, asking questions of medical caregivers and advocating for whatever decisions they make together.
?What does it involve?
- Ultimately, hypnobirthing is a combination of breathing, deep relaxation and visualisation techniques used alongside positive thought and language.
- Arguably the most important element though is educating women so that they can understand the physiology of birth and, as a result, release any fear and feel confident and empowered.
?This technique and philosophy reaffirms to expectant mothers that their bodies are made to give birth.?
The Hypnobirthing Advantages:
- Teaches deep levels of relaxation to eliminate the fear that causes tension and pain, which greatly reduces and often eliminates the need for chemical painkillers and drugs
- Shortens the first phase of labor
- Leaves mother alert, fresh, awake and with energy
- Helps keep oxygen supplied to baby during birthing
- Reduces the need for an episiotomy
- Reduces and often eliminates fatigue during labor
- Empowers parents with techniques to achieve a gentle, calm birth for themselves and their baby
- Gives the birthing companion an integral role in the birthing
- It greatly reduces medical intervention
- There are lower induction and caesarean section rates
- There is substantially less pain relief administered
- There is a higher success for breastfeeding
- Postnatal recovery time is faster
If you would like to find out more about the benefits of hypnobirthing, you can read The Power of Hypnobirthing; 10 reasons why it?s for you available on Amazon or you can find a local KG Hypnobirthing teacher like Magical Baby Moments which is based in Romford, Essex and teaches at The Upminster Sanctuary.
The Upminster Sanctuary are preparing for their (Pre)Bump, Baby & Beyond event on 22nd September.? Christine will be present to discuss any enquiries you may have regarding her services.? More information can be found here:-